Hello everyone! Today’s post is one of my favourite dinner recipes 🙂 I have always loved hamburger helper (even though everyone else in my family was less than enthused by it), but I’ve recently been trying to lead a healthier lifestyle and not eat as much processed food so I had to give up one of my fave meals…. until now! I’ve been experimenting with some healthier versions and I have found one that tastes even better than the box!
This recipe makes about 4 servings of 1 cup each, and requires only 1 pot 🙂
1Lb of ground veal or turkey ( I just buy whichever is cheapest)
1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
2 cups of chicken broth
2 cups of almond milk (or regular milk I just don’t consume lactose)
2 cups of whole wheat rotini pasta
3 tbs of flour
1 1/2 cups of cubed cheese (I use lactose free old cheddar, but any kind will do)
1. In a soup pot add the onion, minced garlic, and ground veal. Cook until the meat is fully browned.
2. Drain meat and then return to stove.
3. Add flour, cheese, pasta, chicken broth, almond milk, salt, pepper, and pasta. Bring to a boil.
4. Once boiling stir the pot then cover and reduce to medium heat.
5. Let cook for 10-12 min or until pasta in tender. Stir occasionally so that nothing burns or gets stuck to the bottom of the pot.
6. Once the pasta is cooked, remove from heat and let sit for 3-5 min to allow the sauce to thicken.
7. Serve immediately! You can sprinkle some grated cheese on top or some Parmesan.
This recipe can be housed in the fridge for a few days after Ina sealed Tupperware. It’s even great tasting heated up the next day!
How easy is that? One pot pasta!
Hope you enjoyed this recipe and that you test it out 🙂